The position plans, develops and implements external strategic communications, including public relations and public affairs, in support of the overall reputation and branding strategy for Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. Working closely with the Vice President – Adtalem Global Communications and executive leadership, the position develops strategies to enhance the reputation of the international institution, and provides consistency, clarity and alignment of external and internal communications. As a member of the Adtalem press office and as a media spokesperson, this position is responsible for driving earned media strategies and results, managing press relations and directing communications activities, with a focus on alignment with overall strategic messaging and reputation management. The person would manage agency relationships and collaborate with internal communications colleagues to design, develop and produce communications with members of Adtalem’s other medical and healthcare institutions. This position reports to Jennifer McGuffin, Vice President – Adtalem Global Communications, with a dotted line to the Dean of RUSVM for efforts related to that institution.
• Develop external communications strategy and implement public affairs communications plan to support the medical schools’ brand.
• Work directly with institution leadership and the global communications team to promote positive relationships with the press and media, and drive earned media results through targeted media interviews, news releases, op-eds and thought leadership events.
• Seek and identify newsworthy media opportunities that showcase the institution and its students, faculty, alumni and programs.
• Actively protect organizational reputation through sound media engagement and messaging.
• Implement coordinated communications and provide oversight of all communications to ensure consistency of messaging and alignment with defined objectives.
• Support and drive a consistent messaging platform across all stakeholder initiatives and materials.
• Manage veterinary school press office and activities.
• Network with third parties to promote institution brand and image.
• Support executive management by drafting and/or editing communications as needed.
• Assist investor relations and crisis management teams and serve as primary contact with the media and other external audiences.
• Track and analyze external communications initiatives.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, media relations, journalism or a related field.
• Minimum five years of experience in public relations positions, preferably with international and/or medical or veterinary media experience.
• Well-developed writing and journalistic skills and experience in media relations and external relations.
• Strong collaboration skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office applications.
• Strong organizational, logistical and planning skills with the ability to prioritize tasks under tight, competing deadlines while maintaining work quality.
• Must be able to collaborate with a variety of colleagues across the organization.
• Experience working with third-party agencies preferred
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers a unique program of training on the island of St. Kitts in the Caribbean. A cutting-edge curriculum, with innovative use of technologies and simulations, provides the best possible training for tomorrow’s veterinarians. Students benefit from seven semesters of integrated preclinical and clinical studies at our St Kitts campus, and one year of clinical training at our affiliate veterinary teaching hospitals in the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia.
Our ongoing research focuses on key issues strategically relevant to One Health in tropical and developing countries and includes zoonotic diseases, food safety and security, environmental health, and conservation medicine. We prioritize recruitment of talented faculty and are now seeking a key new member of our team to join us as we develop new programs to best prepare our graduates to face the global opportunities and challenges of veterinary medicine in the 21st century.